Cream of Chicken, Coconut and Mushroom Soup
• 3 tablespoons butter or Earth Balance spread, divided
• 4 tablespoons gluten-free flour or flour blend
• 4 cups chicken stock
• 1 15-ounce can coconut milk (not light)
• 3 garlic cloves, crushed
• 6 to 8 medium to large white mushrooms, sliced
• 1 small onion, diced
• 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
• salt and pepper to taste
In a small skillet, melt one tablespoon of butter or Earth Balance. Add crushed garlic, sliced mushrooms and diced onions, and saute until garlic and onions are translucent and mushrooms have softened. Set aside
In a large stockpot, melt the remaining two tablespoons of butter or Earth Balance. Whisk in gluten-free flour to form a roux. While whisking continuously, gradually pour in chicken stock and coconut milk. Add parsley and stir. Pour stockpot contents and skillet contents into a Vita-Mix or other blender and puree until well combined. Pour soup back into stockpot and heat to desired temperature, adding salt and pepper as desired.
Yield: About 6 cups.