2 Bigs + 4 Littles under 1 Midsize Roof = Life As We Know It
Random header image... Refresh for more!

The Beginning

I’ve been thinking over the past several weeks about how to start this blog, and I’ve come to the conclusion that I’ve thought about it way too much and that it’s just time to write already! Probably because I am a writer and editor, I’ve put a lot of unnecessary pressure on myself to put together the perfect first post. Part of that pressure comes from questions I have asked myself as I have delved into the process of getting set up—which, by the way, involved a serious learning curve and an incredible expansion of my high-tech vocabulary. Questions such as, “Does the world really need another blog?” “Do I have anything to say that somebody else isn’t already saying?” and “Do I have the energy, creativity and time to keep it going?” My answers? “Probably not.” “I doubt it.” and “I can’t believe you can ask yourself that question with a straight face.” Still, I find myself unable to resist a forum such as this—a place where I can share ideas and experiences with people I know well and people I don’t know at all—yet. And I’m drawn, too, by the knowledge that I’ll be forced to exercise my writing and editing muscles, which often lay dormant too long between free-lance assignments.

So what will I write about, exactly? Well, I plan to follow the old rule, “Write what you know.” Which, for me, means writing about my family and my place in it; the things we strive toward and thrive because of (or in spite of); our life experiences; and our hopes, dreams and heart’s desires—from the minuscule to the grandiose. Topics at the top of my list include homeschooling (which is a huge part of our lifestyle), healthy eating (both for optimal nutrition and to accommodate our family’s food allergies) and hobbies (from digital scrapbooking to urban farming).

The Hemmings Half Dozen includes my husband, Shawn, and I, and our four children: Kellen, 9; Kerrick, almost 7; Kennah, 3 1/2 (don’t forget the 1/2); and Keillor, 20 months. We live in a suburb of Phoenix, Arizona, in a mid-size home that often feels crowded and chaotic. And we love it—most of the time. If you find us here, I hope you’ll contribute to the conversation where you can, and that you’ll extend a bit of grace my way as I continue to navigate this uncharted (for me) territory. In fact, for this first post (and maybe beyond,too), I’ve decided to adopt as my motto the following quotation from Dr. Seuss: “Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind.”

Be Sociable, Share!

10 comments

1 Wardeh @ GNOWFGLINS { 07.25.09 at 4:57 pm }

Hello, dear Sonya! I enjoyed your first post very much. I have enjoyed getting to know you through my blog, but now I feel like I will get to know you much better – and that is so exciting to me! Is that picture in your banner really of you and your family? It is beautiful and artistic! I love it. I love the quote from Dr. Seuss. That would be a good motto for everyday life, not just blog writing! God bless you and your family. I look forward to reading more about your family, your strivings, your hopes, and your dreams. Love, Wardeh

2 Jen Pennington { 07.25.09 at 6:31 pm }

Yeah!!! So glad you did it! I will be your first official follower!

3 Rachel Lyman { 07.27.09 at 7:13 pm }

Hi Sonya! I am glad you have a blog, and I’m very interested in what you have to say!

4 sonyahem { 07.28.09 at 8:20 am }

Wardeh,

Thank you so much for your inspiration and encouragement! Your blog is really what made me want to have one of my own! Yes, the photos in the rotating header (one that shows all of our faces and another that shows us all walking away from the camera) is really our family. They were taken by our friend and fab photographer Tawnya Hood (http://www.beautyoflifephotography.com), who has photographed us annually for the past three years. I still have so much to learn and am impatient to be more experienced at this whole thing. (I got so frustrated today when I lost an entire post because I didn’t realize that my computer was set to “Work offline” for some reason. I wanted to cry when I had to try to re-create it!) But I’m excited about embarking on this adventure! 🙂

Love, Sonya

5 Tamara Dirks { 08.03.09 at 5:25 am }

Love it, love it, love it! I’m exicted to read your adventure!!!

6 sonyahem { 08.04.09 at 5:51 am }

Thank you, Tamara! I don’t think I’ve even rounded my first bend on the learning curve required to do this blogging thing, but I’m determined to get there eventually! 🙂

7 Yvonne { 10.29.09 at 1:18 pm }

Sonya,
Thank you for starting this and please don’t consider stopping. I learn so much and I always anticipate the next one. DON’T STOP BLOGGING! 🙂

8 Sonya Hemmings { 10.30.09 at 4:21 pm }

Thank you, Aunt Yvonne, for encouraging me! I’ll keep plugging away—with more consistency and regularity, I hope. 🙂
Love,
Sonya

9 A Half Dozen. . . | hemmingshalfdozen.com { 12.31.09 at 8:15 am }

[…] now. I have much more to learn, for sure, but I’ve come a long way since I began, well, at The Beginning (my first […]

10 A Half Dozen. . . | hemmingshalfdozen.com { 01.20.10 at 11:12 pm }

[…] Mentorship. Whether you’ve read my blog since The Beginning (my first post) or this is the first post you’ve perused, you’ve probably gathered that Wardeh […]